Category 3 Activities – Activities to achieve 3 Intermediates outcomes in Nutrition
Activities in the nutrition work-stream are designed to achieve 3 intermediate outcomes. These outcomes are:
Increased capacity among of key stakeholder groups (local, community and national) in Nigeria to advocate for and to track and monitor nutrition funding.
- Increased awareness of the Plan and commitment to adopt by stakeholders in at least 3 states TBD (1 saturation, 1 responsive and 1 high burden state) in Nigeria;
- Increased political support by key national and state policymakers and program managers (MoE, MoE, MoA) for the adoption and implementation of the National Food and Nutrition Security Plan
To achieve these intermediate outcomes the lead CSO, CU-SUNN will carry out the following activities with the support of the cross-cutting groups (CISLAC; FOMWAN and HERFON) over the life of the project:
Convene 1 policy dialogue between, civil society, nutrition stakeholders and government on effective strategies for implementing the NFHS policy.
Develop 2 Policy briefs on the status of malnutrition with regional and global standards and recommendations for each targeted Ministry
- Conduct 15 advocacy visits to key officials at national level and 3 focal states TBD (1 saturation, 1 responsive and 1 high burden)
- Develop State level scorecards on nutrition to 3 focal states TBD (1 saturation, 1 responsive and 1 high burden)
- Identify and support the leadership development training of 4-6 champions within the system
- Print and distribute 300 copies of the NFHS policy and where necessary support the translation of the national policy document
- Develop summary and advocacy notes of the plan for dissemination, including in at least 3 major languages
- Provide technical support to 3 states TBD (1 saturation, 1 responsive and 1 high burden) to adapt the plan including financial implications
- Map nutrition stakeholders at national level and in 3 focal states TBD (1 saturation, 1 responsive and 1 high burden) and assessment conducted of advocacy capacity of stakeholders
- Conduct 8 trainings for selected stakeholders based on needs assessment including on advocacy and coalition building
- Conduct Training of trainers workshop for 10 trainers at national level
- Conduct 1 workshop to train faith based stakeholders and grassroots CBOs to conduct advocacy for the Plan in 3 focal states
Activities A to D will achieve intermediate outcome 1; activities E to G will achieve intermediate outcome 2; and activities H to L will achieve intermediate outcome 3. Intermediate outcome 1 is underpinned by the theory of change that stakeholder groups at the national level will be mobilize and have their capacity built through activities such as participation in policy dialogues, advocacy visits and through uptake of knowledge in scorecards and policy briefs. To achieve this outcome CS-SUNN will be supported by HERFON which will prepare the scorecards and policy briefs and support the policy dialogue. Intermediate outcome 2 is supported by the theory of change that creating awareness of the Plan will result in increased commitment. Hence information dissemination activities as described in E to G are proposed. Intermediate outcome 3 is anchored on a theory of change which holds that political support for the plan can be catalyzed at the state level through stakeholder mobilization and technical assistance. Capacity building activities are therefore key to achieving these intermediate outcomes.