CS-SUNN is on course to contribute to ending malnutrition in Lagos state through concerted and collaborative efforts of Media, CSOs and the State Government. As part of efforts to achieve this, the alliance recently convened a two-day meeting to strengthen advocacy skills of health/nutrition focused-CSOs and Media to identify, harmonize areas of priority in nutrition interventions and develop action plans for prompt implementation in Lagos state.
The twenty-five participants in attendance, drawn from the Media and CSOs, deliberated extensively on possible ways to ensure adequate nutrition of all residents in Lagos state. Several presentations, video clip shows on Exclusive Breastfeeding, Group discussions, Group works and plenaries were highlights from the meeting.
The objectives of the meeting were:
- to strengthen Nutrition Collaboration among CSOs/ Media
- to harmonize Nutrition “Asks” with CSO and Media Health/Nutrition Coalitions
- to develop a strategic and achievable advocacy action plan with focus on low hanging fruits
Presenting the Objectives of the Meeting, Mr. Sunday Okoronkwo, CS-SUNN Project Manager pointed that a child with Severe Acute Malnutrition has only 7 months to live or die and over N50,000 is required to treat such a child.
The meeting developed two harmonized asks:
- The Lagos State Governor to sign the Policy on Food and Nutrition by December, 2020.
- Lagos State Accountant-General to release at least 50% of approved nutrition funds for all the focal MDAs by December 2020.